Wednesday, February 18, 2009

You will NEVER forsake me

Isaiah 42:16 (New International Version)

I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths I will guide them; I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. These are the things I will do; I will not forsake them.


As I continue to walk on the path of life, God continues to remind me the path is not always the path that is familiar or the path I can see. This verse really sums up what God can do for me, if I let him.


I think the structure is strange in this verse. God will lead the blind along unfamiliar paths. I think this is significant. If someone was blind back in day of the Old Testament, they probably had very limited paths to get to food and water. They had to travel the same way every time because this was the familiar path and one with safety. Any other paths were dangerous since they did not know what was ahead. He also says he will turn darkness in to light. They are blind! Why do they need light? God will also make the path level in front of them.

Well, again, God is talking to me... Rick the blind person.

I think blind is not only a physical condition but also describes in a metaphorical sense the human condition and where I have been at times in my life.


I have been blind to God's leading, not because he wasn't trying to lead me but due to my sense of self and how I ignored God's leading. I was blind to the vision He wanted to give me and the guidance He was offering. I was not looking for the hand to guide me along unfamiliar places and to illuminate the path so I could "see" the best way to go. I was not open to the leveling of the path to make the journey better, Notice that God is leveling the path, not me!

God opened my eyes so in my blindness I could see what he wanted to do for me and how he was going ahead to unfamiliar territory to make the path clear before I even got there.

What a comfort in knowing the God of the universe is ahead of me leveling the paths of life and getting me ready for the unfamiliarity of what lies ahead. God is placing people in my path to help guide me too. People who care about me! Many always with me in spirit!

Lord, Help me to reach out and take your hand every day as you lead me in places I have not experienced or paths I have not walked. Thank you for friends near and far who are with me along the path of life that love you and care for me. Thank you for guiding me to people on the path who are willing to walk along side of me. They are a blessing in life that will never be forgotten.


Thank you for doing things for me and you will not forsake me as the path of life takes another turn while on the Adventure in Middle Grove.

No comments: