Sunday, February 8, 2009

Stoned with Friends

Exodus 17

10 So Joshua did what Moses had commanded and fought the army of Amalek. Meanwhile, Moses, Aaron, and Hur climbed to the top of a nearby hill. 11 As long as Moses held up the staff in his hand, the Israelites had the advantage. But whenever he dropped his hand, the Amalekites gained the advantage. 12 Moses’ arms soon became so tired he could no longer hold them up. So Aaron and Hur found a stone for him to sit on. Then they stood on each side of Moses, holding up his hands. So his hands held steady until sunset. 13 As a result, Joshua overwhelmed the army of Amalek in battle.


I bet that got your attention.

I will admit... Today I am weary and the Amalekites are gaining advantage.They have taken their toll on my psyche. We moved over 200 people in to a new building where I was on the design and implementation team and introduced some new technologies that had some problems. All this in spite of budget cuts and continuing bad economic times and keeping my group energized and positive. My arms have been held high while I stand looking over the valley by great friends and family. In the past week, my arms are getting tired and my spirit is like that of the drooping arms of Moses.

My dependence is on the God who created Heaven and Earth but like Moses sometimes the battle is longer than expected and new strategies need to be developed. I think of Aaron and Hur too! They were tired too but they saw the direct action of letting go of their leader. Every time Moses dropped his staff, the enemy gained ground. They did not have to go too far to see this. They were right next to him! I always wonder who was more tired, Moses or his friends!

Well, being the resourceful Israelites found a rock, or did they. I am not a biblical scholar but is this the same rock that Moses struck and water came out. Did Aaron and Hur put him on this rock because they just witnessed a miracle of water coming out of a rock at Mt. Sinai?

I really do not know. What I do know is when Moses got in to trouble, his friends found a solution not only for the sake of Moses but I believe they were getting tired too.

Whether or not it is the same rock Moses struck for water, he needed a place to sit down so he could have his arms held high to defeat the enemy.

I know you are with me today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNRl3xI8Jts
(sorry about the commercial at the end, nothing is without cost!)

Lord, on this day of worship hold my hands high and help me defeat the enemy of doubt, lack of hope and hurt and let me gaze at the path ahead as I fix my eyes on you as my friends look for a rock to help me keep my arms in the air. I am grateful for friends near and far and for their prayer and support. I know you have a plan and I eagerly await your leading as I look out this morning from the hill on the Adventure in Middle Grove.

No comments: