Friday, February 20, 2009

God's Promises- Don't be an Ass

Psalm 32:8-9 (New International Version)

8 I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go;
I will counsel you and watch over you.

9 Do not be like the horse or the mule,
which have no understanding
but must be controlled by bit and bridle
or they will not come to you.


Wow!, never read this verse quite that way!

On the adventure of life, many times I was an ass.What do I mean?


Not really understanding the heart felt promises God had for me

And

having the bit bit in mouth and God trying to pull me to Him.


Quite a funny picture!


Contrast this to:


Be instructed and taught on the way I should go...


One method-being dragged

Another method- being lead

I get this picture of me with a bit in my mouth with my feet dug in the ground with God dragging me along.


I like the second picture much better.


God teaching me and leading me in the way I should go. As God worked on me this past year, He took the bit out and waited to see if I would follow Him, HIS WAY.


HE is teaching me and leading me as:

I follow Him and look to his leading, not mine.

I look to His guidance, not mine.

I look through his heart, not mine.

So, what does this all mean as God's promises are worked out in action on my part and on the part of God.


He tells me right here

"I will counsel and watch over you"

What a promise!

The God who create the universe will counsel and watch over me. He will guide me in the ways that are right.

He can only do this because HE LOVES ME.


Today, Lord, I thank you for your promises.


There are not something old and stuffy.


They are alive an new!


Thank you for taking the bit out of my mouth and leading me down the path, YOUR WAY, as the Adventure in Middle Grove continues.



No comments: