Saturday, August 1, 2009

Sharing the load


Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.

Galatians 6:2,

"I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you!" Samwise gasps to Frodo in one of the final scenes of the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Sam then lifts Frodo on his shoulder and staggers up the mountain where ultimately Frodo is able to put an end to the evil threatening to consume the world. Sam knew that Frodo's purpose was to destroy the ring, but that was not Sam's purpose. Yet Sam showed amazing servant
leadership with the words: "I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you."


One of the things becoming more evident as the Adventure continues is how important friends are in my life. Casual acquaintances are good and needed but what is really needed is friends who will help me carry my burdens.


It does not say help, it says carry. This means I am to carry others burdens too.



Carrying a burden in the early days of the church was very physical work and usually was putting heavy stuff on your shoulders.


I need to continually remind myself that others are more important than me and I need to carry their burdens. Helping others is a mandate not an option. I have some very close friends who need me to be there and carry their burdens.

"I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you," today on the Adventure in Middle Grove.

No comments: