Saturday, August 15, 2009

Be Still in the fight


"The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still" (Exodus 14:14 NIV).










Summer is on the down side of the meteorological calender.

Some how we missed the upside!

The summer brings me memories of not just this summer but memories of things that did not go so well or relationships that are still not mended in our families and friends.

In Exodus, go to the scene just before the dramatic crossing of the Red Sea. The Egyptian enemies are close on the heels of the Israelites, who take this opportunity to whine to Moses about being stuck out into the desert to die when they could have just as easily died in Egypt. Moses gives an inspiring speech concluding with:

"The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still" (Exodus 14:14 NIV).


This is a good since it is a struggle to remain still and let the Lord fight instead of trying to dig out of the messes I make. You need to keep reading in Exodus 14. Evidently, the Lord was not quite as inspired by Moses' words as me. The very next verse says, "The Lord said to Moses,

'Why are you crying out to me? Tell the Israelites to move on."

I love that. Sometimes I just need to move on -- the Lord says so Himself.

Need to apologize to someone? Apologize. Move on.

Need to forgive someone? Forgive. Move on.

Just move on.

God set me free from bitterness, fear, and anger, but often I live like I don't wear the badge as defined by selfless love and forgiveness.

There are times to let the Lord fight for you and be still, but there are times when the Lord says "Quit whining and MOVE ON." This can be a season for change.

Apologize.

Forgive.

Let go.

Move on.


Lord,

let me be a person of forgiveness and help me to move on with your grace, mercy and love on the Adventure in Middle Grove

No comments: