Friday, August 14, 2009

In the Cave... and out


18 If your heart is broken, you'll find God right there; if you're kicked in the gut, he'll help you catch your breath.

Psalm 34:18


Yesterday I was taking about, it is in the silence where I can learn alot about myself and others. I started thinking of places where I experienced silence and remembered the times when I went "spelunking."

This is a nice word for going in places I shouldn't have gone squeezing my body through places I didn't think it would fit and seeing things I really did not want to see.

There was a particular cave I went in that was about 1 mile in through cracks, water, and small caverns.

At the end of the long crawl through water, was a giant room at the end. A large space with a 50 foot ceiling.

This is where we would eat lunch. After we ate lunch, we would turn off our lights and sit. In about 10 minutes our eyes adjusted to no sensory input.


It is funny what the brain does when in the total absence of light. Your eyes start to sparkle with sprites. I am not sure whether this is a chemical or nervous system event but the brain cannot "see" light so unusual things start to happen in this absence of light. The brain starts to make things up and tries to fabricate light. the brain tries to create something that is not there. When in the state of total darkness, the brain starts to imagine things that really aren't there and thoughts that are really foreign to what I have imagined.


Well, What is the point of all this, yes there is a point!


As you leave a cave this dark and head to light, your eyes start to adjust to the smallest amount of light. As you exit the cave to the light of the day and pop out of the hole or crack, the light takes on new meaning. The greens are much greener and the blues, much bluer. The dark of the cave is replaced with the light of day.

Many times I have let my life be in a cave, deprived of much sensory experience or feeling. In the past 2 years I have been crawling back from the absence of light through the cracks and crevices of life. In the past few months I have emerged from the dark hole and in to the light of the day. The greens look much greener and the blues much bluer today, on the Adventure in Middle Grove.

No comments: