Monday, August 10, 2009

In Prison?


*** This is a modification of an earlier Adventure in Middle Grove***

A message was preached today about forgiveness. There is more to it!




I overheard a discussion at work about two people who have not talked for years. Unfortunately is is not something reserved for non-Christians

The word forgiveness is mentioned seven times in the entire Bible. The first time it is mentioned is in Psalm 130, verse four.

(Read the chapter) Particularly look at verses one and two.


In the depths of despair, the psalmist cried out to God, "Hear me! Help me!"

Despair makes me feel isolated and distant from God, but this is precisely when we need God most.

Despair over this should not lead to self-pity, causing me to think more about myself than God.

Instead, it should lead to confession, and then, to God's mercy, forgiveness, and redemption.


When I feel overwhelmed by a problem, feeling sorry for myself will only increase hopeless feelings; but crying out to God turns my attention to the only one who can really help.

Now look at verses three and four. Holding a grudge is like building a wall between me and another person, and it is nearly impossible to talk openly while holding a grudge.

This is more than a grudge... It is the essence of Christianity. Without forgiveness, not much is left.


God never holds a grudge;

When He forgives, He forgives completely, tearing down any wall between us and Him.

When I pray, realize that God is holding nothing against me.

The lines of communication are completely open. Jesus not only taught frequently about forgiveness, He also demonstrated His own willingness to forgive.

Here are several examples that should be an encouragement to recognize His willingness to forgive me also. In Matthew 18:21-34, Jesus tells the disciples the parable of the unforgiving debtor. (Read the passage) The rabbis taught that Jews should forgive those who offend them three times. Peter, in trying to be especially generous, asked Jesus if seven (the "perfect" number) was enough times to forgive someone.

But Jesus answered, "Seventy times seven," meaning that we shouldn't even keep track of how many times we forgive someone.

I should always forgive those who are truly repentant, no matter how many times they ask. In Bible times, serious consequences awaited those who could not repay their debts. A person lending money could seize the borrower who couldn't pay him back and force him or his family to work until the debt was paid. The debtor could also be thrown into prison, or his family could be sold into slavery to help pay off the debt. It was hoped the debtor, while in prison, would sell off his land-holdings or that relatives would pay the debt. If not, the debtor could remain in prison for life.

My life could be a prison of un-forgiveness but God has moved my heart to a place where he continues to work on my soul while on the Adventure in Middle Grove.

Forgive me...

No comments: