Sunday, September 20, 2009

Working the Land


He who works his land will have abundant food, but he who chases fantasies lacks judgment.

Proverbs 12:11, New International Version



Seeking the Fruits of labor is desirable effort

This is an interesting verse.

This year having a garden was a tough go. The weather was wet all year and then we did not have any rain. I go to the farmers market twice a week and they battled the weather all year. The garden season is over for me. Picking the few squash I grew will end the agony of the year, missing out on the thrill of victory.

I did not get an abundant return but I did get to rely on God for the production of the garden. This does not mean God has failed. It means my techniques and ideas need to adapt more next year to the different weather conditions. I need to be ready for all the things that can happen to hamper the growth of a garden.


Gardening is a valuable life skill. I have pictures of my first garden in my backyard in Niagara Falls when I was about 7. Gardening keeps me focused on the knowledge I cannot do this alone and I must rely on God for the smallest things, even my garden.

If I am chasing fantasies, I will not have the connection to God and will not have a garden with abundant food. This was way different in the time it was written. If I did not grow food, I probably did not have much to eat. If I was not working the land and chasing fantasies, I could die if I did not get food from neighbors or friends.

Working the land has practical as well as spiritual implications.

Working the land keeps me focused on the work of God and not the work of me.

The land is at rest for 6 months but help me to continue to rely on you on the Adventure in Middle Grove.

No comments: