Thursday, September 3, 2009

Radical Glory


The Necessity of Forgiveness





"The master was very angry, so he put the servant in prison to be punished. And the servant had to stay in prison until he could pay everything he owed. This king did the same as my heavenly Father will do to you. You must truly forgive your brother or sister, or my heavenly Father will not forgive you."

-- Matthew 18:34-35


For the past few days, I have been talking about attitude and how important it is for a positive relationship in life. Well, there are time when life does not take the intended path path and relationships are damaged. The "human" response is to want to be right and not give forgiveness but God is gracious and merciful those to whom he has freely given mercy and withhold it from others.


The key principle of mercy and grace is this: it must be shared when it is received or it is never appreciated. God is very angry with an unforgiving, unmerciful, and uncharitable heart.


So let me be gracious and tender and kind.


Let me do it simply because God's first done it to me!



Lord, help me to be more merciful with those who do not want to forgive me. Please give me a sense of balance so that I may know, celebrate, and proclaim your mercy in its radical glory today on the Adventure in Middle Grove.

No comments: