Friday, January 2, 2009

Tool Time

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Proverbs 27:17, New International Version

As this year begins, I want to really examine the depth of scripture to help me really move to a deeper level in understanding who I am before God. This includes how I live individually, and how I live in the relationships I have in my life.

God made us to live in community. There can be no "Lone Ranger" Christians.


We must live and worship in the midst of other Christians. One of God's purposes is to use each other as mirrors for our walk with God. This is a scary proposition as it opens me up for inspection and shows the "man behind the curtain"

In the "Wizard of Oz" , Toto inadvertently exposes the great and powerful wizard as a fraud; they find an ordinary man hiding behind a curtain operating a giant console which contains a group of buttons and levers. They are outraged at the deception, but the wizard solves their problems through common sense and a little double talk, rather than magic. He explains that they already had what they had been searching for all along and only need things such as medals and diplomas to confirm that someone else recognizes it.

Wow! That was me. I never knew I was in the movies! The am in man behind the curtain and the travelers looking for recognition and acceptance from others!

...Not looking to the source of life, wisdom, and recognition in both cases


This year I desire to have the curtain town down completely. Last year God moved the curtain back so I could get a glimpse of what was out there for me and others could see the little man behind the control board.

This year, Lord, tear away the curtain as you make me more holy in your sight. Sanctify me in your way, not mine. The curtain is opened for all to view.

Let the sight be pleasing to you.

Thank you for opening the curtain and showing me the greatness of your character and how much you love me.

No comments: