Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Test of Time

James 1:12-15

"12 Blessed is the man who endures trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life which God has promised to those who love him".

I have heard the expression "holding on to hope" many times. What does this really mean in a practical and spiritual sense.

James is writing to a group of struggling new Christians who are trying to find their identity in this new life and all the trials they are going though in this life.

I certainly do not feel blessed in the midst of trials. Sometimes I wonder if I am cursed. I wonder in the midst of a trial if it is ever going to end, if there is any real hope that it is going to turn out ok. In v. 12, James reminds me there is an end to this time that will be far superior to what we can imagine in our present circumstances. To endure, like counting it joy, is not something that we do by sheer will power. To endure is to continue to turn to God as our only source of life. It is to count on Him to give me His presence and His peace in the midst of whatever I am facing. Most importantly it is to live as if He is working His transforming and redeeming will through my current condition. It is to wait on Him to give me wisdom and light when all I seem to have to offer Him is my darkness.

I endure not for the sake of the current chaos, but for the promised resolution. God will bring good out of this, and I count on Him to do this. I await the crown of life which is the same as being "perfect and complete, lacking in nothing."(v.4)

Lord, I wait patiently for hope. Not the weepy kind of hope but a hope in strength. A strength in knowing that you are the creator and source of hope.

Lord,

when situations look the bleakest, you are the strongest;

when life looks the toughest, your are most gracious;

when hope looks the most hopeless, you are the most hopeful.

As this day begins, my love for you is more than I could have ever imagined. My reliance on you the most precious. Let your healing hand reach out and touch those around me so they may feel the awesome hope you offer. Lord, continue to teach me and change me daily as my hope in you is steadfast this day on the Adventure in Middle Grove.


No comments: