Friday, January 23, 2009

Always There

Psalm 138:3 (The Message)

Psalm 138

Everything in me says "Thank you!" Angels listen as I sing my thanks.
I kneel in worship facing your holy temple
and say it again: "Thank you!"
Thank you for your love,
thank you for your faithfulness;
Most holy is your name,
most holy is your Word.
The moment I called out, you stepped in;
you made my life large with strength.

Reading more about faithfulness lead me to the Psalms and examples of how God is faithful. Faithfulness in God is something that cannot be denied when I look at the Old Testament. God could have left the Israelites many times but he didn't. Faithfulness has the element by the person seeking to know God that he is always there. If we seek God's faithfulness, it is not just in times of want or trouble. God is faithful, ALL THE TIME, and through all generations.

As I continue to look at some of the old hymns, I was drawn to Martin Luther who had an unbelievable sense of God's faithfulness. I cannot imagine taking on the whole church. One of the songs written almost 400 years talks about how God is our fortress, our strength in trouble and our "bulwork" never failing. A bulwork is a wall that is impenetrable just like our God who is faithful.

A mighty fortress is our God, a bulwark never failing;
Our helper He, amid the flood of mortal ills prevailing:
For still our ancient foe doth seek to work us woe;
His craft and power are great, and, armed with cruel hate,
On earth is not his equal.

Did we in our own strength confide, our striving would be losing;
Were not the right Man on our side, the Man of God’s own choosing:
Dost ask who that may be? Christ Jesus, it is He;
Lord Sabaoth, His Name, from age to age the same,
And He must win the battle.

And though this world, with devils filled, should threaten to undo us,
We will not fear, for God hath willed His truth to triumph through us:
The Prince of Darkness grim, we tremble not for him;
His rage we can endure, for lo, his doom is sure,
One little word shall fell him.

That word above all earthly powers, no thanks to them, abideth;
The Spirit and the gifts are ours through Him Who with us sideth:
Let goods and kindred go, this mortal life also;
The body they may kill: God’s truth abideth still,
His kingdom is forever.


Lord, this day on the house on the hill,

fill me with your Spirit and the sense of your faithfulness that cannot be shaken.

fill me with your wisdom so I make walk on the path of righteousness

fill me with your grace and mercy so I may show it every day to those around me

fill me with your love today and take away the fear and doubt as you build the bulwork of faith in me on the Adventure in Middle Grove

No comments: