Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Strength Training, God's way.


I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith.

Ephesians 3:16-17, New International Version


Yesterday it was very clear that I can think about my path of life but it is only God who directs my steps.. I was meditating on this last night and was really struck by the contrast in the short proverb.

We can plan
God directs our steps

I got a funny picture of me thinking and planning my path. In the past, I would have spent a good deal of time planning and not praying. The mental picture I get is me, doing all my planning an God grabbing on to my leg and trying to put my foot in the right place.

I can plan all I want, but it is God who directs my steps.

Why was I doing the planning part and not the praying part?

I believe the focus of the verse today was part of the problem ( mine, not God's)

...he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being...

I was trying to do it on my own and not be strengthened to my INNER MOST BEING. I was strengthened on the planning part but not on relying that God would put my foot in the right place.


I needed to be strengthened to my INNER BEING, MY SOUL, so my

planning, purpose, and praying
come from the depths of my soul where God is doing his greatest work.

My life was like spending alot of money painting the house but the plumbing and electrical did not work. The exterior looked great but things on the inside were really broken an out of repair.

The paint job does not matter to me any more...

What matters is I allow God to work on the electrical and plumbing because it really doesn't matter what the paint job looks like to him.

The only way I can do this is to totally submit to God and have him dwell in my inner most being

Lord direct my next step not by the plan I made but but the plan you made for me before I even knew you. Let you power dwell in me so my inner most being will be flooded with your spirit so you will anchor in in my heart. Free those around me from the pain and sorrow and draw them closer to you so they may experience the work in their heart.
Let YOUR power work in them today!




No comments: