Saturday, January 3, 2009

I Surrender

You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; ....
-- Ephesians 4:22


In order for the curtain to be torn down this year and expose me unencumbered of the past, I need to completely put off my old self. That is, completely get rid of it so it is not an influence on the work God needs to do in 2009 and beyond.

That's a tough one, isn't it?! I surrendered my heart to God and my old self was crucified with Christ when I became a Christian (cf. Rom. 6:6). Jesus reminds me that this surrender is something I need to do daily (cf. Luke 9:23). I need to put the old sinful life aside every day and choose to live for Jesus in response to God's grace. As I begin this new year, I need to make it spiritual habit to consciously offer myself to the lordship of Jesus each day. In this way, what I think, do and say will be honoring to him and my motivation for daily living will be a result of soaking up the grace and mercy he shows me every day.

LORD, my Father in heaven, I want to honor you and ignore the temptations of Satan. Please empower me with your Spirit and capture my heart with your grace as I seek to live each day for you.

No comments: