Saturday, January 24, 2009

Can I Pass the Test?

This is the end of the semester for many high schools. Next week tests are given to check up on the mid year for whole year classes or finals for half year classes. I thought it would be appropriate to have a mid year exam to see how I am doing. Am I making the grade, or am I ready to flunk out of life!

Jesus gave a test to his disciples who are to be the leaders of the new emerging church, the Lord takes a towel and a basin of water and washes their feet(John 13:12) and reminds them that they must do for each other what he has done for them(John 13:13-14). He emphasizes an earlier principle, "He who will be great among you will become the servant of all" (Luke 22:26).


When Jesus shares in one of his parables, he makes no mention of wealth, power, or doctrine. The measure of the true child of God is found in whether or not he responded with a servant's heart when he encountered the needs of his fellows believers.

For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty
and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you
invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and
you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me (Matthew
25:35-36).

In answer to their question of "When did we see you ... ?" Jesus responded, "Whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me" (Matthew 25:40).

God looks my heart...

Do I share his love with those around us?
Do I wash the feet of those you are not as "good as me"?
Do I show the grace and mercy God shows me every day?

Can I pass the test?

More importantly, am I willing to use it as the measure of my success?

Lord, on this cold winter day, help me have a servants' heart so I might be an example of your love and grace. Help me serve those around me so they might feel the power of your presence. Let your Spirit flow from me so all that can be seen is what you have done for me. Use me this day as the the path continues to meander on the Adventure in Middle Grove.

No comments: