Sunday, June 14, 2009

Make me Crotchety


10 In his kindness God called you to share in his eternal glory by means of Christ Jesus. So after you have suffered a little while, he will restore, support, and strengthen you, and he will place you on a firm foundation.

1 Peter 5:10 (NLT)

Yesterday, I was in the woods cutting up the trees I took down during the winter. Matt and I cut down about a dozen trees in the depth of winter. It was time to cut them up so I can split the wood for firewood.
I was in the woods for about 3 hours. Cutting firewood is somewhat of a mindless activity, BUT, you need to pay attention or you can cut off some body part... Not what I was looking to do.

I was working very hard and got to a spot in a black birch tree that was giving me a difficult time. So I sat down to take a rest.

The birch tree is very strong and is great for burning as it has a high BTUs and burns with very little ash. It has also been used for medicinal purpose. Chewing on the twigs of a black birch is useful for teething babies and for upset stomachs. It is the wintergreen contained in the outer layers of the bark. Did you ever hear of birch beer. The birch tree was responsible for this too. It is also responsible for those 3 inch long Catkins that sway in the wind before they blow all the pollen all over the place. The birch is a VERY high allergen tree that blew all it's pollen this week. Probably why I cannot breath!

While I was spending a few moments thinking and some time in prayer, I looked closely at the tree proving to be troublesome.

The place I was trying to cut was extremely hard. It was in the crotch of a tree. U shaped tree crotches are very strong especially the ones close to the diameter to the main tree. Many times the crotches are trees formed as the tree diverges in different directions. This particular tree had some wind damage and the tree healed itself and had new growth around the damaged part of the tree.

OK, what does this all mean?

In weakness and damage, the birch tree found strength for the future.

In a time when I tree could have died, it emerged stronger

In a time where growth could have stopped, the tree flourished.

All the victories in life and all the suffering in life, come from God.

HE GIVE ME STRENGTH

Just as the tree gains strength from a seemingly impending disaster, God uses the trials in my life to strengthen me and grow me in new directions. He desires that I be made stronger as I rely on him. The seemingly impending disaster is only the strengthening of my character as God looks to heal the damage and provide stronger
growth and direction for me.


Lord,

restore me,

support me ,

strengthen me,

and place me on a firm foundation as you make preparations for growth on the Adventure in Middle Grove.

No comments: