Sunday, June 21, 2009

Lessons Learned from Dad


Hebrews 11:4b
. . . He being dead yet still speaks.


Even though Abel was long gone, he still had influence and wisdom in his death.


My dad was a remarkable man. I was named after him. I am Richard Ramon Cobello II. My son, who is now with his heavenly father, was Richard Ramon Cobello III. My dad had a great influence on me.


He was dedicated to his country and joined the Navy, very young. He was a gunner on a troop carried in Japan. He never talked much about the war but it must have affected him as the fear of war is something probably not forgotten. He did have an eagle tattoo on his arm and there must have been an unsaid story about that!


He got married after returning and went to college. He was an independent person and opened up an appliance store in Niagara Falls.


Yes, we always had a used washing machine that didn't work well!


We lived in the same building and our work and home were one in the same. He later saw the appliance business was not a good long term strategy and morphed our business in to a hobby shop. This was a successful business and a great place to be as a kid.


His spirit of adventure and his commitment to work hard took him a long way and he taught me some of life’s greatest lessons.

These lessons were important as he died when I was 15 and had to help run the family business. I went from the kid to the adult. It was difficult but I had a good teacher.


In my teenage years he showed me how to check the oil and fix cars, how to change a tire, and even how to jump start the other car that often refused to budge on it’s own. I learned how to paint, wallpaper and lay tile, do electrical work, from a man who could figure out how to do just about anything.


But he taught me more than just how to do things as he modeled patience, compassion and unconditional love. He let me always help even when I probably was not helpful!



The lessons I remember most from my dad were these:



    Always keep your promises

    Work hard and be proud of what you do.

    A good imagination is one of life’s greatest gifts. Use it often and wisely.

    When faced with a problem, don’t say, “It can’t be done.” Get busy and figure out a way to do it!

    Don’t give up! You’ll succeed if you just keep trying.

There is one thing he did that I do not know why. He really did not go to church but he took me and my sister to church every Sunday. We went alone and went to church school and church. This early experience was the beginning of my adventure with God. It took a long time but I still can remember those early years of learning about who Jesus was and what he did for me.


I don't know why he did it. We never had the chance to talk about this before he died but his efforts to get me to church every Sunday provided the crucial foundation when God got me!

It has been many years but those life lessons are still guiding principles of my life. His dedication and effort to get me to church lead to his 4 grand children, who he never knew, to be followers of Christ.


God had a plan, some day I will see the rest of the story.


Father, thank You for giving me an earthly father who loved me and cared for me. Thank you for those life lessons as we continue together on the Adventure in Middle Grove.

No comments: