Monday, June 15, 2009

Keeping the line straight


Proverbs 4:10-13 (New Living Translation)

10 My child,[a] listen to me and do as I say,
and you will have a long, good life.
11 I will teach you wisdom’s ways
and lead you in straight paths.
12 When you walk, you won’t be held back;
when you run, you won’t stumble.
13 Take hold of my instructions; don’t let them go.
Guard them, for they are the key to life


Yesterday was a great day to be outside. My friends Caleb, Bet and I went to the Hudson River to go Kayaking for a few hours.

This past weekend was the 400th anniversary of Henry Hudson and the discovery of the river and Albany. Sitting in the middle of a very calm river it is hard to imagine the enormity of his efforts since there were no maps and the river was extremely violent. Now there are dams for power production and flood control.

It also reminded me of the essentials of kayaking and boating. If I need to get to a spot, I need to keep my eyes focused on the spot. If I look at the water, it may appear I am going straight but I am only seeing what is right in front of me. I may not end up at my intended destination.

I also need to use my paddle with equal authority. If I only use my right hand or do not focus on my left hand, I may end up going in circles or at least an erratic direction.

My eyes, hands and head must work together to reach the intended destination in the most direct path.

God wants to direct my paths, just as I needed to direct my path on the river.

He wants to direct my eyes, my head and my feet. He wants me to rely on him for my direction and focus.

He wants me to
take hold of his instructions; and not let them go.
He wants me to guard them, for they are the key to life on the Adventure in Middle Grove.

(Bet, thanks for the picture)




No comments: