Sunday, March 22, 2009

Transformational Knowledge or Walking on Water

Lord, if it’s you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.” “Come,” he said. Then Peter… walked on the water and came toward Jesus.’ Matthew 14:28,29 NIV



This is a real example of transformation knowledge. Not just knowledge for the sake of gaining knowledge. But knowledge that leads to actions because of obedience and love for God and from an assurance in self that knows God is leading in the right direction and I can trust him. It is also the basis for faith in God that I can trust him because he loves me and I REALLY know he loves me.
Today I want to look at the faith that is born out of this love for me and the assurance I have in God that he works all things out for good no matter what the circumstances.There are a few points to examine so I will do this over 2 days since God has put this on my heart for a close examination. I have used the book and other resources and a great deal of prayer over the past months to really see what faith is all about and how God works through my faith.In this well known story, the disciples are alone in a boat out on a lake when they see Jesus walking towards them on the water. At first they are afraid, and think it must be a ghost. But when their Lord reassures them that it is He,

Peter asked the Lord to come out to Him on the water. Christ said “Come.”, and Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water towards Jesus. Much is have written and preached on this popular bible story, for it is a very vivid picture of faith in action.

There is a lot I can learn about the nature of faith from this passage. Peter illustrates in it a quality of faith and trust in God which I, as a sincere believer, desire to emulate in my own Christian walk - a trust in God to step out more fully into His will and purpose for my life and to see me through the storms.
God never leaves me guessing in the dark, but has given me all the light I need for my walk of faith this side of eternity. I believe that a close look into this passage of scripture will open to give me a better understanding of the nature of biblical right now if I am able “to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me.” A closer look at Peter’s ‘walk on water’ reveals several key elements: First, notice that Peter asked. He asked Christ to call him out. Then, he waited for the Lord’s answer before getting out of the boat. Next, he obeyed when Christ said “Come.” 1. Faith Asks in Prayer Why did the Lord call Peter out of the boat, and not the other disciples? There were eleven other disciples in that boat. Why was Peter the only one invited by Christ to step out of the boat? Simply, because Peter asked. The text gives no other reason for the Lord’s call to ‘come’ other than Peter asked. In his asking, Peter demonstrated a quality of faith that the scriptures repeatedly exhort us to: “keep on asking” (Mat.7:7 AMP); “in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." (Phil.4:6) Jesus repeatedly taught His disciples to be persistent in prayer. “Ask, and it will be given to you.” (Mat 7:7). In Matthew 15:21-28 it is taught that it is the persistent asking of the Canaanite woman that gained her the answer to her prayer. It is the persistence of the widow before the unjust judge in Luke 18:1-8 that got her request granted. The friend at midnight got his bread because of his persistence in asking. So I am taught to be persistent in prayer.
The Lord called Peter because Peter asked. The other disciples didn’t ask, and consequently were not invited by Christ to step out. Don’t be afraid to ask. Our Lord is not offended by our asking, and will respond to our prayers. He may not always respond with the answer I hoped for, but He will respond.

The faith that walks on water is the faith that prays, and keeps on praying. 2. Faith Seeks God’s Will What did Peter ask for? He asked for Christ’s Word: “if it’s you…tell me...” He sought the Lord’s will first, before getting out of the boat. Biblical faith always seeks the Lord first, to do His will. The goal of faith is obedience to the will of our Lord. Faith is not a tool to achieve our own agenda. Peter wasn’t making demands or claiming his ‘right’ to walk on water. He didn’t ‘speak words of faith’. He was humbly seeking the will of his Master.

The faith that walks on water looks to Christ for His will, not our own.Today, Lord, give me the faith that walks on water and looks to you as I do your will. A faith that looks to you and not my own agenda, this day on the Adventure in Middle Grove.
continued...

No comments: