Saturday, March 28, 2009

The Flip Side

"Stand up; I too am a man." (Acts 10:25-26 RSV).


"Peter was a Galilean, the characteristics of which at the time included a strong sense of independence and a direct, impetuous manner. His "frontier mentality" made him as quick on the draw with a sword (e.g. when he cut off Malchus' ear ) as many American cowboys were with a six-gun in the Old West nearly 2,000 years later."

Sometimes weird connections come to me as I a labor during the day. Yesterday I had one of those connections. I was cleaning the storage area in the basement and was not looking for anything in particular. I stopped to think about a box of 45 records I had in the basement and started looking for them. I couldn't find them but finding them was not the point by now. For those of you who have never seen a 45 record, you are a lot younger than me!

45 records were pressed on 2 sides. I guess they figured why waste a side of the record, we will put something on it. Sometimes it was not even the same artist. So, you could get a top 40 song on one side and "The chorus of German shepherds howling Gregorian Chants" Most of the time a purchaser of the 45 did not know what was going to be on other side until the record came out.

Just a point of meaningless trivia. Decca records pressed many of their 45 records in Gloversville NY. Don't know how that happened!

Ok back on task...

So, you would potentially have a hit on one side and a dog on the other. Alright, it was a cheap attempt at a joke.

But there were a few that had hits on both sides. This was VERY rare.

The Internet is great for an ADD person. I found a site that had all the 45s ever pressed and had the front side (A) and the flip side (B) and where they appeared on the record hit list.

1 COME TOGETHER A / 2 SOMETHING B- The Beatles (1969)

Two hits on one 45!

This was was Peter. He had a flip side.

"Reading Peter's epistles makes me wonder if this is the same hot-headed fisherman we meet in the Gospels! Something dramatic has happened to him. His knowing of both God and his own self underwent a radical change because he came to know Jesus. "


Our ideas about God are formed in the relationship we have with him and the relationship we have in knowing who we are before God.

If that doesn't humble you, nothing will!


Our objective knowledge of God is good but it is pale in comparison to the transformational knowledge available to us if we get to know God on a more intimate level.

I believe this is what happened to me this summer. I had the same 45 playing for a long time but it was side B. God said "Rick, enough of listening to side B, I am going to flip this record over"

He did, literally..

He flipped me over to a new side that had rarely been played before;

the quality of the sound was something that was never heard before

and the words were only his words.

God can change people

He Changed Peter, he changed me

Lord, Side B sounded pretty good for a long time. the words and the music were soothing to me. They satisfied my desires and my longings.

But you flipped me over to Side A, "The number one hit"

The music and words are now your music and your words. Side A is for you because I know more about me. Keep the music playing as the Adventure in Middle Grove likes the sound of your tunes.



No comments: