Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Delcaration of Dependence


In the Lord, however, woman is not independent of man, nor is man independent of woman.

1 Corinthians 11:11



Our modern society stresses independence, self examination, and individual thought.

Leaning on each other and doing things for your other brother does not usually make the evening news.

Where does all this start? It starts on a reliance in each other knowing that either party is not independent of each other but dependent on each other.

The key words in this scripture verse are ...In the Lord.


I can't be dependent on myself .

God made me to be dependent on him. If I am not dependent on him, I have all the wrong motives for the things important in relationships and life.

My dependence starts and finishes with a close connection with God and all other dependencies flow from the grace and mercy offered to me from my relationship with the Lord.


"We are all one in Christ Jesus!" Paul told the Galatians (Gal. 3:26-29). Satan, however, constantly tries to divide God's people.

One of his most effective means of division has been to divide men and women whether in marriages, families or churches. Paul reminds me that if Jesus is my Lord, I recognize I need others and I am committed to placing value on others, especially in my marriage relationship. Rather than letting Satan divide my relationships through our differences, I choose to unite in dependency around my Savior.


Lord, in whose image I am made, please give me the courage to value and love all others as you love me. Let me love in relationships where love is difficult. Let me love where love is not returned. Let me love the dependence I have on you while on the Adventure in Middle Grove.

No comments: