Thursday, March 5, 2009

God's Promises - Eternal Joy

"Therefore you too have grief now; but I will see you again, and your heart will rejoice, and no one will take your joy away from you."
John 16:22


Yesterday I was discussing the earthly joy we can have when we have a union with Christ and follow him and his wisdom. I was thinking all day yesterday about the real joy promised by Christ that cannot be taken away or leave us here or in eternity.

I also emailed a friend yesterday for no apparent reason and asked him to call me if he had a chance. Well, he called me in the morning and we chatted for a few minutes.

He then asked me if I heard about the kid found dead in the State Park. I sad, yes, that was terrible. He then told me it was his neighbor and he was on the way over to meet the family. I don't know much yet but it sounds like this was a troubled youth who grieved his parents who tried to do anything they could to help him out.

The pain they are feeling now is indescribable
,


the grief unimaginable,


the doubt and questioning immense.


Flash back to the summer...


This past summer was a tough time for many reasons. The main reason was God was working in me in ways I couldn't understand or have never felt.


It was a hot summer night and I was having trouble sleeping but I finally went to to sleep.

It was about 3:00 AM when I awoke and was sitting in bed dripping wet and shaking with something. Was it fear? Was it uncertaintity? I will know some day.

As I sat in bed, wondering what was happening to me, I was startled as I looked in to the darkness of the summer.

Right in front of me was Rick, as clear as day on a hot summer night.

As I looked in to the darkness sobbing like I never did in my life, I saw his face as he looked at me in the eyes.

He said, "Dad, you don't have to worry any more, I'm OK and I will see you again"
Italic
And that was it, a small message in the night in an unexpected place in an impromptu situation.

Now, nothing like this has ever happened to me before or is something I sought as a resolution to an unfortunate situation.

I believe it was this verse working out in action for me and showing me a fore-taste of the real joy I will have when I meet Rick again.

It will be like no other reunion I have ever known.

It will be like no other time I ever experienced while on earth

It will be like no other hug, I have every hugged.


I will meet him, just as I will meet God

I felt a peace like no other time in my life. It was my body being drained of all the

doubt,

fear,

and uncertainty

It was meeting God face to face through my son.

It was a scary time wondering about all the events that lead up to this moment

It was a time of relief knowing that he was in God's hands and everyting was ok.

I could elaborate more but it is hard writing this as I think back to the events of the summer and the joy and sorrow I experienced. It is still fresh in my mind and I hope it never leaves. But, it is still and emotional time as I wait for the time when I will see Rick again, in glory. It is still an emotional time as relationships in my life are not complete as I wait on You.


All this being said, this cold winter morning in March, I know you are with me and you will never forsake me or leave me. You are with me through it all:

good

bad

uncertain

So, TODAY,

My heart rejoices and my joy is complete as I know it can NEVER be taken away while on the adventure in Middle Grove,

today...

tomorrow...

and forever.


No comments: