Sunday, March 29, 2009

The Gift of Being Yourself - Life Comes at You Fast




Psalm144:4 (The Message)


3-4 I wonder why you care, God
why do you bother with us at all?
All we are is a puff of air;
we're like shadows in a campfire.


Good Question...


There is a television commercial by Nationwide Insurance that says,

"Life comes at you fast" Psalm 144 tells us we are but a puff of air or a fleeting shadow in a campfire. That is Fast! We need to know ourselves before we can really know God and we really do not have much time here on this earth to get to know God and know ourselves.


Brenner says in "The Gift of being Yourself" we are rear view mirror Christians. We look back over the day and do an examination but do we really do a self examination about ourselves? Do we avoid the feelings and indwelling sin in our lives escape the scrutiny of examination and reflection? If we do, we are allowing a disconnect between our self and God. We are not looking at our self in view of the transformational knowledge that God give us in his word.


What we are left with is the shame we have by not being true to God and the shame we bring on ourselves for not knowing ourselves. It is the shame that keeps us from the true knowledge with action if we really know ourselves and God.


"The goal of a prayerful review of recent life experiences is not self-analysis. The point is not to peel back the onion and find some problem or meaning. The goal is to increase our awareness of God in the events of life and the depths of my being."


Lord, let me come before you this day and put my shame before you.


The shame I have for not always following your wisdom;

The shame I have for not always loving people close to me the way you love them;

The shame I have for not always looking at people through your eyes, not mine;

The shame I have for not always yielding to you.


Release me this day from the shame and sin in my life so I can see a path that is clearer this day as you care for me on the Adventure in Middle Grove.





No comments: