Tuesday, April 28, 2009

You Can Learn alot from Mulch


1 John 2



1 My little children, these things I write to you, so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous. 2 And He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the whole world.


OK, This garden stuff is really keeping me busy. It was therapeutic and comforting until I needed to move 15 yards of Mulch. 15 yards is one of the big dump trucks with 3 axles. 15 yards is a lot of mulch! I needed to recalibrate my expectations and motivation.


Gardening for many years was a chore. This year it is a learning experience about me and about life. It is a time when I have the very essence of creation as we know it in my hands. The very dirt that gives life to the plants and gives us much of what we have and use on earth was created by God. Every spring, life comes back from a dead northeast as the cold of winter is replaced by the warm breezes of spring. Actually is was the hot wind of summer yesterday. Very weird!

Back to the mulch...


I spread mulch for many hours this past weekend. Something about repetitious manual labor that draws my thoughts to simple things. As the mulch is spread, it covers up all the new tiny plants of spring so they do not grow in to big weeds.


The King James uses a word not understood any more. It is propitiation.


Propitiation is the covering my sin with the righteousness of Christ. His death and resurrection on the cross and in the tomb fills the gap between me and God. Without his propitiation of my sin, I cannot have a relationship with God. Jesus "covers" my sin as my advocate before God. Without this, I cannot have access to God. Jesus did something for me that I could not do myself, EVER!


Just as I cover the small weeds to keep them from choking the life from the good plants, cover me with your righteousness as we walk down the path of life on the Adventure in Middle Grove.




No comments: