Saturday, April 4, 2009

The Unmasking


HAG 1:7 This is what the LORD Almighty says: "Give careful thought to your
ways.





Ok, I have talked about self and what this means to know God better. In the "Gift of Being Yourself", Brenner talks about the authenticity of self and are we really deceiving ourselves with the idea of who we really are.




"At the core of the false self is a desire to preserve an image of our self and a way to relating to the world. This is our personal style...how we think of ourselves and how we want others to think of us." we create a style that suits us and makes us feel good. We create a core style.




I am a pretty good person

I have the vision for the big picture

I have the ability to look at the pieces of puzzle on the table and put them together

I like people

I try to stay fit and love the outdoors

I like to be with people and have a good time

I have a good sense of humor

I am inventive and creative

I can do about almost anything, with a little practice

I am a good leader

I am enthusiastic and love a challenge



I guess I should stop here. If you are reading this and you think I am FOS, keep reading or submit your comments to my editorial board who will screen them for me and provide me with some positive uplifting feedback.



Not what is needed!



"Our false self is built on an inordinate attachment to an image of our self that makes us think we are special"



Ouch!



In a book by Rohr and Rohr, they ask "are we prepared to be other than the image of our self? If not we will live in a bondage of our false self"



Double Ouch!



This summer I stopped living the status quo.



I looked at my self and saw a reflection in the mirror of a false self that lived in me for a long time.



A self that was built on from my childhood.

A false self that was encouraged.

A false self that put me in the light of me, not in the light of God.

I learned to pretend and hide the inner most feelings of my soul

I learned that love had to be earned and not given freely

I learned that failure was not acceptable and success was at all cost

I learn that getting things done matter

I learned that feelings were something after you got things done

I learned the cry of the heart was the soul reaching out, and I ignored it

I learned that gentleness was something you did after you completed things

I learned that kindness sometimes got in the way of completion

I learned that a gentle touch took too much time.

I learned alot... I needed to forget.



I traded lies for the truth about myself.



God took me to a place where he showed me an honest look at myself and started to unwind the tape of years of believing a self that was created for my own good , not his.



He showed me to take an honest look at myself from these truths


  • I am sinful and are powerless to stop sinning on my own, so I need to rely on God’s power;

  • I am not in control of your life, but God is;

  • The world doesn’t revolve around me, and I am a nit in God’s great story;

  • All my strengths are from God, so I can’t take credit for them and should use them to serve and glorify God; and

  • My weaknesses are greater than my strengths, because my weaknesses cause me to depend on God’s greater power not my own tainted abilities and desires.

God let the awareness of my brokenness lead me to the wholeness I can only find in Christ.




God put his light on me this summer. He started the process. He took away the pride and selfishness and is replacing it with the unearned love he can only give.




"Few things are more difficult to discern and dismantle than our most cherished illusions. And none of our illusions are harder to identify than those the lie at the heart of our false self."



This summer God helped me realize the price of the mask I wore was not worth it.




Starting to understand my mask prevented me from experiencing real intimacy with God and others. Rather than trying to impress God, I need to pursue an honest and intimate relationship with Him while relying on His strength.



My masks prevent me from pleasing God.



Instead of vying for other people’s approval and praise, I need live to please God alone




...The time of unmasking came at the masquerade ball of the century.



I was having a good time at the ball with the masks of un-reality I created for myself.



I was pleased with who I was behind the mask of deceit an illusion.



I was thankful that I would leave the party before the unmasking took place.



God changed my plans.



He came in and unmasked me at an unexpected time and place.



I was scared that God would really see who I was and who I became even thought I did love him.



I was fearful to see my self in light of God and the fallacies and illusions I created.



God tore of my mask and said, "Rick, I am here for you. You do not have to earn my love. It is here for the taking because I love you for who you are and who you will become."



I love you today and forever more while we continue our walk on the path while on the Adventure in Middle Grove.

No comments: