Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Made in God's Image

Genesis 1:27


So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.

I have tried to resist writing about this but I am drawn to the parallels in my own life and to the connection to the masquerade ball written about earlier this winter


Susan Boyle is the dowdy, frizzy haired, overweight, single, never-been-kissed, unemployed 47 year old woman who lives with her cat, Pebbles, and appeared on Britain Talent Show (similar to American Idol.) She took the show and audience by storm.

So, who is Susan Boyle?

I look at Susan Boyle and see myself.

I don't want to admit it, but I see myself.

There is this self in the hidden recesses of the greater me I avoid.


I look at Susan and see that part of me that is unattractive and dowdy.


I see the part that feels isolated, that feels alone and unconnected, that part that long ago had a dream but that dream shattered by the perceived reality of my world.


I see me.

I see that part most powerfully when I am in crisis;

when I face loss;

when my worth and essence is called into question;

when I face failure;

and when I live the life flattened by a shattered dream.

There she is... what can she do?

And so, the audience looked at Susan and in their smugness began to roll their eyes, ridicule, mock and deride Susan for her seeming dowdiness.


What a dufuss! Simon rolls his eyes.

Amanda, "What's THIS?" Piers laughs. (The panel of judges.)

And then Susan begins to sing... and her voice emerges.

This is the "real" Susan.

This is the part of her that for so long wanted to be expressed, wanted to emerge.


The heart and soul of Susan in all her inner boldness and confidence stands before the audience.


Just as the audience looked at Susan, humanity looks at me

But God looks at me like Susan singing with all his love and sees beyond the ugliness and outward appearance and sees the surprise that is in me every day as he holds me on the Adventure in Middle Grove.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lp0IWv8QZY

No comments: