Thursday, December 4, 2008

Thirsting

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.

Matthew 5:6, New International Version

One of the things that struck me yesterday from the verse in 2 Peter was the phrase

..." make every effort to add to your faith..."

This did not say, "give it a good try" or "see what I can do"

It says to do everything I can to add to my faith. This is why I was drawn to Matthew 5

What I am really trying to make an effort for is to live a righteous life and in living a righteous life, I will add to my faith. I think it is interesting how Matthew uses 2 human conditions to highlight out spiritual needs and desires.

I have been hungry and thirsty but never to the point that I thought I was going to die. If I was ever at this point, I can imagine that there would be nothing else I cared about other than getting food and water. Nothing would stop me from reaching my goal of satisfying my hunger and thirst. I would do nothing but think of satisfying my hunger and thirst.

I would think of nothing else

I think this is what Matthew is talking about! I am to hunger and thirst for righteousness like there is nothing else that can satisfy the need. There is nothing that will stand in my way of being filled with God and what he has to offer me.

To thirst for righteousness, is the first step in adding to my faith. Without the desire and the acknowledgment of the need, the foundation of faith will not grow.

Lord, Help me in the Adventure of Life that I would continue to know what it means to thirst for you. I would hunger and desire you and you will fill me with your righteousness so my faith will be added on a daily basis.

Satisfy all my needs for building the kingdom and in putting your relationship in a place where I "make every effort".


No comments: