Wednesday, December 3, 2008

A Firm Foundation

For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith
goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge,
self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to
perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness;
and to brotherly kindness, love.

2 Peter 1:5-7, New International Version

My walk with God is built on a firm foundation of faith but look at a building that only has a foundation and you are not looking at much! Usually a big hole in the ground and walls protruding up out of the ground.

As there is much more to a building, there is much more to my walk in faith than the firm foundation of faith. God has taking a long time to make sure the foundation is built on him, not me. He has taken the foundation down a few times and said to me that "this isn't the way I want it done." He has shown me a foundation built by me is one that will crumble and not last. The foundation of faith must be built on him being lead by his spirit.

My life was truly spiritually transformed by God’s indwelling presence, my affections and attitudes are different toward people. God removed the fog from me to see more clearly through him. First of all, within the church I will really exhibit “brotherly kindness”. People in churches don’t even treat each other as friends sometimes much less as family. I don't see much joy in the church. My trip to NYC was really invigorating a few weeks ago. I saw people who loved each other but more importantly they had the "fire of the spirit" living in them. They were excited about their faith and how it was the driving force in what they did and said. It was a great experience and restored me spiritually to continue to seek the excitement of God's spirit. Thank you NYC! This kind of love should be the outgrowth of my relationship with God and through this love I should be able to be patient with others because we love one another (Eph 4:2).
Not only should my treatment of those of our spiritual family be different, my treatment of all people should be different. Peter lists the final attribute in his list as “love”. This, as I’m sure you could guess, is REAL love. This is he highest, most sacrificial form of love. This love seeks the good of the one loved with no regard for self. I should be willing and able to serve my wife, my family, my neighbors, my community as a way to demonstrate God’s love. People should know I am Christian because of how loving I am toward people. When I serve, I should serve out of love. Peter, under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, listed this quality last because it binds all the others together. In fact, if we don’t have love, our lives really do not reflect the character of God. If we don't have love, the foundation of faith will never see the roof of love that protects and covers us with God's grace and mercy.

Lord, let me be an instrument of your love. Use me to to bring love to my family , friends and community like I have never done before. Let your spirit work in me so your love will be evident in all I do, think and say. Let your love pour out from me like I have never experienced before. Guard me, with your love and by your spirit, not mine.

Thank you for the love that binds me together with my family and friends. Thank you for showing me a "new way" in you that really is not so new.

Thank you for you love!, and a new way in you.

No comments: