Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Boasting

VERSE:
If I must boast, I will boast of the things that show my
weakness.
-- 2 Corinthians 11:30



Now that is a thought that goes counter to society and the culture of today! Probably would not make a good commercial. Like "Army WEAK", or The Marines, Proud and WEAK, or a politician saying, "come and join the WEAK for change"

One of Paul's recurring themes throughout 2 Corinthians is that God's strength is made perfect in weakness. In 1 Corinthians, he emphasizes that the strength, wisdom, and power of God are shown in what is normally a sign of weakness and humiliation -- the Cross (1 Cor. 1:18-2:5). Paul wasn't a wimp -- remember all he endured and kept on serving the Lord. (2 Cor. 11:24-27) He just knew that even with all his training and talent, he wasn't skilled, smart, or strong enough to do all that needed to be done for the Kingdom of God. But he knew that when I recognize my insufficiency, God takes my weaknesses and uses them powerfully when I offer myself to him! He has already shown me I have the power to ask for his love and his compassion for me is one of grace and mercy. He does not ask me to be strong. He asks me to be obedient to him and not be afraid of my weaknesses. It is in my weaknesses, God is working, making me more like he wants me to be in his eyes, not mine


Heavenly Father, thank you for all those times that you have:

strengthened me when I was under trial,

given me wisdom when in a difficult situation,

or empowered me when I faced situations and opportunities greater than my ability to handle.


I recognize that you saved me by your grace; but each day that I serve you, I
am again reminded that your grace continues to enable me to serve you.

No comments: