Saturday, December 6, 2008

Thirsting Again

Then the word of the LORD came to Elijah: "Leave here, turn eastward and hide in the Kerith Ravine, east of the Jordan. You will drink from the brook, and I have ordered the ravens to feed you there."

1 Kings 17:2-4 (New International Version)


Elijah went to the brook because God gave him a command to go eastward and drink from the brook and the brook dried up. This could be bad since there was famine and lack of water in the land. But God provided people to help him and in turn he was used by God in a more powerful way. The drying up of the brook is a metaphor for me in the things that I thought were important that were there until God stopped the rain and the brook was dry. Elijah need to rely on even the ravens to give him food. They left after the brook dried up too!

I had a brook dry up on me over many years but not a brook that God sent me to. It was a brook created by me to get water to drink but not the spirit of the living God. I was thirsty for the wrong water and God dried up the stream.

God asks us to thirst but thirst in him and not on or own.

What should I do when the brook runs dry...

Tomorrow.

Lord, help me thirst on the living water you provide and help me look towards you daily as I thirst for your spirit. Mold me and make me who you want me to be as I sit by the brook of your creation.

No comments: