Saturday, December 20, 2008

Is it Real or is it Memorex?

Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and
live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up
for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.

Ephesians 5:1-2, New International Version


Yesterday I was thinking about the "likemindeness" we have in Christ and in each other as Christians. I am not sure it is even a word.

Scripture gives me another glimpse of how important this is as we labor to be followers of Christ while we are here on this earth.

There was an old TV commercial from the early 80s

It had 2 versions but the one I liked the best was

" Is it Real or is it Memorex "

It was a commercial for Memorex tape. I bet there are alot of people who don't remember the reel to reel tapes for music. They had the best sound quality but were expensive.

The key element to good sound recording back in the 80's was a good quality tape.

Memorex came out with a tape they believed was so superior, listeners could not tell the real singer from the tape. Ella Fitzgerald was one of the singers they frequently used in their commercials.

OK..

What does this have to do with anything.

The verse here gives us guidance to be imitators of Christ. I am to live a life of love for others as I try to live in harmony as believers in Christ.

I cannot be God. ( Although sometimes it appears I am trying)

But I have a great example of the God of the Old Testament and the living example of Christ as he walked with us. We also have the Holy Spirit to guide us and mold us as we seek to be imitators of God. This is not to mean we are to become God but to look at the attributes of Christ so others will see "Christ in us" as we attempt to live a life of love.

Today , Lord as I come before you let me more like you so I can be a imitator of your love. Use me so others might see a glimpse of you through me.

Let others ask as I continue the Adventure in Middle Grove,

"Is it real or is it Memorex"

No comments: