Sunday, December 21, 2008

Perseverance

Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we
will reap a harvest if we do not give up.

Galatians 6:9, New International Version

I get tired! Living a life that is pleasing to God is hard work. Not that it is a job but I need to be continually immersed in God's word and his spirit to keep the connection to my heart directly from God.

I was thinking about the "God Meter" last night. This will make sense, bear with me.

I am learning to play the drums and have a new set of Electronic drums that have more features I learn about every day.

One of the coolest features is the "coaching mode" This allows me to play at a particular beat and a graph is displayed so I can see how I am doing. If I am playing too fast, The graph shows me playing too fast. If I am too slow, it displays below the line, showing me I am too slow.

This is helpful when playing the drums but wouldn't one of these be valuable in life?

Well, I have it but didn't use it all the time.

It is the Holy Spirit with a twist.

I do not have a good and bad meter but I do have the gift of the Holy Spirit to guide and lead me in a Godly direction. The difference is this. When I feel I am doing good or I feel I am doing bad, I still have God with me. God does not have a meter that looks at the good and bad stuff and we are awarded points ever time we do something good or are deducted when we do something bad.

There is no scorecard in heaven.


This does not get me of the hook but leads me to a firmer resolve to follow the direction God has for me and to come before him when I sin and ask for his forgiveness.

He does not give me smiley faces when I am good or throw lightning bolts at me when I am bad.

He does want my heart. This is an act of obedience, perseverance, and prayer.

He will provide me all my needs in time of good and time of bad.

Lord, Help me this day:

to trust in you,

to obey you,

and to follow you


Help me persevere in life to do good, FOR YOU.

I will not give up!






No comments: