Thursday, May 14, 2009

Thorny Venture

Forgiveness is a process but one that can only work through the saving grace of Christ on the cross.


Because God has forgiven all my sins, I should not withhold forgiveness from others. Realizing how completely Christ has forgiven me should produce a free and generous attitude of forgiveness toward others. When I don't forgive others, I am setting myself outside and above Christ's law of love.


If you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. Matthew 6:14 (NRSV)


My landscaping adventures this spring provided many cuts, bumps and bruises, I was working on one of the large flowing bushes in the front of the house and I came away with a thorn buried deep in my index finger. It was tiny and almost invisible; but each time I grasped something in my left hand, I was painfully reminded of its presence.


Removing it took time. The procedure was painful, but what a relief it was for the finger to heal! Soon I forgot about the thorn and looked forward to the first fragrant flowers.


Holding a grudge can be like having a thorn in my heart. After a while, I may think it does not matter; but like an invisible barb, the grudge will cause me intermittent pain. I wouldn't think of leaving a thorn in my finger, but I may harbor bitterness and anger associated with a past hurt for years.


To forgive can be a great relief, but it takes conscious effort on my part. Praying for those who have hurt me and asking God to change my heart can free me from the pain of negative feelings and memories. Forgiveness brings peace and allows me to enjoy the blessings of everyday life.


Forgiveness brings peace to my heart.


The Lord promises to do these things with my sins:

Forgive them all (I John 1:9)

Cast them into the sea (Micah 7:9)

Take them away (Isaiah 6:7)

Cover them up (Psalm 32:1)

Blot them out (Acts 3:19)

Put them away (Hebrews 9:26)

Remember them no more (Hebrews 8:12)

The last reference to forgiveness is in 1 John 1:9. (Read the verse)



Confession is supposed to free me to enjoy fellowship with Christ. It should ease my consciences and lighten my cares.



But some Christians do not understand how it works. They feel so guilty that they confess the same sins over and over, and then wonder if they might have forgotten something. Other Christians believe God forgives them when they confess, but if they died with unconfessed sins, they would be forever lost. These Christians do not understand that God wants to forgive us.



When I come to Christ, He forgives all the sins I have committed or will ever commit. I don't need to confess the same exact sins all over again, and I don't need to fear that He will cast me out if I don't keep my slate perfectly clean at all moments. Of course, I want to continue to confess my sins, but not because I think failure to do so will make me lose our salvation.



My hope in Christ is secure so I can enjoy maximum fellowship and joy with Him on the Adventure in Middle Grove.

No comments: