Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Our Test Before God

Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. He who does not love does not know God, for God is love (1 John 4:7-8 NKJV)

Seems like I have been talking to many people these days who are involved in some type of testing for school. It could we elementary, high school or college. Testing is a way to measure our knowledge and understanding of what we know not necessarily what we can do. The types of testing we are used to are only measurements of how well we know specific content at a moment in time. I can remember, still , tests I took in college that we very difficult and I studied very hard. I did well but guess what? I don't remember anything on the test or how would I use it. Either it wasn't very useful or I am getting old! Probably both!

God has a different test for me. One that I can reflect on with various degrees of success over the years.

He asks me to love others. This is not always an emotional high love but a deep seated love borne out of the love God has shown for me. Let's face it I can be ugly and unlovable at times. And speaking from personal experience, I have done a good job at that more than not in my life.

We need to love, because God is Love.

OK, here is the testing part. No need to study or stay up all night for the test.

The test is PASS / FAIL


Love = Knows God
Does not love ≠ Does not know God

Simple test, hard results

If I love, I know God. What does this mean. It means that with all my spirit and all my being, God expects me to love if I love him. If I do not love, I do not know him.

This is love of a different nature. Not a love like we love shrimp or love baseball. It is a deeply rooted love when I can look at a whole being through the eyes of Christ who first loved me when I was still a sinner. I didn't deserve it in ANY manner, shape or form. Loving others through the eyes of Christ, is a humbling experience because it brings up all the junk in my life when I felt unlovable and unforgotten. It reminds me of the times when I thought I was lovable and no one loved me. It brings up thoughts of rejection, dejection and failure.

But those thoughts are fleeting because God LOVES me and if I love, I know God.

I need to continually go before my creator and ask him to forgive me for the times when I did not love and did not look at those around me through the eyes of Christ. I need to lay down at the feet of God and ask him to have mercy on me.

Without him , I am unlovable. With him I have the greatest love known in the universe

Lord, help me to love and see those around me with the attitude of love. Let me see them through your eyes and not through my filter. You love me Lord and there is no greater love than this.

You are my joy and contentment is secure in you.

No comments: