Thursday, November 20, 2008

Do I Have Hope?

I believe that the first thing I must accept is that hope exists. There is hope. Before I can decide what to believe in, I need to understand that there is something to believe in. Some people look at the world and dismiss hope, choosing to focus on chance and coincidence, chaos and disorder. I've seen enough to know that they are wrong. There is hope. It exists. It can be found. It can be believed and embraced.

I believe that hope is in God. Many of those who have given up on finding hope have done so because they spent their time looking to the wrong things. People place their hope in other people, only to be let down. They place their faith in wealth and possessions, only to have that faith shaken by economic turmoil. Others look to science, but find that the hope science offers is short-term, not reaching beyond the limits of this world. Only God can offer hope for this life by offering a promise of another life to come.

I believe that God offers hope through his son Jesus. There aren't multiple paths to God; there is only Jesus who proclaimed himself to be "the way, the truth and the life" (John 14:6). Jesus offers me the way to overcome the things in my life that separate me from God. He doesn't just ask me to live right; he makes it possible for me to do just that. He brings me the hope of mercy and forgiveness, rather than judgment.


God's hope is hope that will last an eternity

No comments: