Friday, November 7, 2008

The Highway of Life

The highway of the upright avoids evil; he who guards his way guards his life.

Proverbs 16:17, New International Version

If I think about the modern highway, what comes to mind is chaos and confusion. A place where peace is absent and being on your guard for disaster is vigilant and wise. Those who drive down the Northway every morning know what I am talking about It is a dangerous place where there are accidents most mornings. I wouldn't call the Northway evil but is a place where the best of people is not always shown and danger is present.

In contrast, God wants me to avoid evil and guard my life. It is dangerous all around and evil exist where we least expect it. I need to guard myself from evil and the only way I can do this is to be immersed in the Word and have the spirit of God dwell in me. I need to talk to God every day and thank him for the work of Christ and how he has accepted me while I was STILL a sinner and what a gift this is from him. I need to pray for myself and others that God would be merciful on me and the people around me. The highway of Life is a dangerous place but not if we submit to God and his laws and precepts that he is our guide and he is going before us on the Highway of Life.

Lord, As the adventure of life continues, keep me safe, protect me, guide me and love me as we travel down the highway of life together.

No comments: