Friday, July 24, 2009

Strangers


Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it.

Hebrews 13:2




I went out last night with some friends and had a great time. Some how we got talking about entertaining people. I talked to them about how many people have lived in my house over the past years. There have been about 100 people who have lived at the house for a few days to 1.5 years. There we single people and a family of 6. There were people just passing by and people who were hurting and needed healing. There we people who knew God and people who were searching. They were there in the Spring, Summer, Winter, Fall. They were young and old.

They were all welcome.


God has blessed me with a desire to have a place where people can stay and find rest. It was not always easy. 12 people in the house for 6 months was a bit taxing but I learned a great deal about myself. More importantly I learned about how important relationships are with believers and non believers. God show me hospitality in his love for me, I can only graciously return it out of gratitude for what he has done and provided for me.

It is hard for many people to understand how can I have people in the house and live with them. It is an opening for a great discussion.


How warmly do you personally welcome visitors at your church or in home? When was the last time you invited someone new in your congregation over for dinner or included them in a gathering of your Christian friends? While some have the gift of hospitality, all of us need to be warm and open to folks we don't know who join us for Christian worship and fellowship. In a cold impersonal world, we can make a huge difference in the lives of those seeking the shelter and grace of Jesus and his people.


Father, please help me to be more open and welcoming to people who are new and who are visiting. Please use me to share your grace and provide the needy with a Christian home on the Adventure in Middle Grove.

No comments: