Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The Prize


But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus

(Philippians 2:13-14 TNIV)






This is a great picture of a finish at a race. This is the picture God wants me to see as I continue the race in life, Notice how each of the runners are stretching towards the finishing line. It is hard to get a great idea of how much time separates the runners but they are all very close.

But Notice...

Al the runners are stretching towards the goal no matter what position they are in. Each person knows the stretch could make a difference.

This is a picture of what God wants me to do. I am not to stretch just because I know I am winning but to stretch and lean towards the goal he has set before me as I continue the race in life.

Also, notice the runners are not looking backwards. Of course they know where they came from but this is not critical now. Looking back when you are in a race has one constant. It slows the runner down and takes their eyes off the prize. It does no good as the prize is towards the finish.

Runners almost always survey the course before they run a race to get the feel of the track and to look at the lanes and any trouble spots that may hinder their efforts. They are acknowledging there are spots ahead that may be a problem in the race but they are looking out for them before the race.

Looking back while in the race does not help progress. It only slows down progress and insures a losing effort.

Lord,

Help me look forward to the prize you have in store for me as this race of life continues. Help me look forward to the spots that may be trouble or hinder my progress. Be by my side, as we run the race on the Adventure in Middle Grove.

No comments: