Friday, July 3, 2009

Mustard Seed


Then Jesus told the people another story: "The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed. A person plants that seed in his field. That seed is one of the smallest of all seeds. But when the seed grows, it is one of the largest garden plants. It becomes a tree, big enough for the birds to come and make nests in its branches."

Matthew 13:31-32 (ERV)




This is an experience you might not be able to relate to so I will give you a personal glimpse of what this means from my life's experience. At one point in my life, I had the bright idea of making my own horseradish mustard. It was going to be all natural and organic. So I bought horseradish starters and mustard seed. This was going to be "Take your breath away mustard"

People with heart conditions would be in distress if they ate it.

Killer mustard was my goal.

Well...

The mustard killed me, not really, but my garden.

You see the illustration of mustard see is very applicable in scripture. Once mustard seed is planted, it takes over the garden and chokes out everything else. The worst time is the next year after a million plants with a million seeds , re-sprout.

I finally had to let the garden grow over and mow it down.

Mustard seed 1, Rick 0

It just does not stop and keeps growing. It will grow in the cracks of the sidewalk.


From the selection of King David, God's people had been warned not to judge on mere appearances. We shouldn't be surprised if Jesus' Kingdom would start small and insignificant based on outward appearances. Yet living nearly 2000 years later, we can see how these small,
beginnings have been transformed into a powerful, world changing movement. When Jesus said, "The first will be last and the last will be first," he was right. What began in a stable now influences the world. What ended in death now offers life to all. We are part of a mustard seed people because our God is the only true and mighty Lord.


Master and Creator of the universe, thank you that your work does not depend upon my power. I offer myself and my meager resources to do your work in the world. But Father, I realize that the power to do this work, the resources to accomplish the tasks, and the time necessary to complete your ministry must all come from you. Today God, I confess to you my weaknesses and my sins, knowing that all that your power needs to work in my world is a willing heart and an available vessel. Please use me today on the Adventure in Middle Grove.

No comments: