Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Plans.....


For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

Jeremiah 29:11 (New International Version)

This is a repeat.... Holiday!



My daughter Lauren is an amazing person. Her love of God is evident each day as she learns to rely on him in all circumstances.


Yesterday she shared with me a quote I could not get out of my head...

More on that later...

The storms of life are always lurking around the corner. Am I ready? Are you ready?

There are many types of storms:


  • Being diagnosed with prostate or breast cancer, MS, or any number of other chronic illnesses.
  • Losing your job after many years as a faithful employee.
  • Learning that your spouse wants a divorce.
  • Getting a phone call that your child is probably dead.
  • Living with a loved one who has a drug or alcohol addiction (in which case a storm can blow up at any time of the day or night!)
  • Watching a family member be convicted of a crime and sent to prison.
  • Having a child diagnosed with a serious mental illness.
  • Experiencing the death of a close family member.


Any of these storms, provide a debilitating experience that can stop someone in their tracks.

How do we weather the storms of life?


The verse in Jeremiah gives me a clue.

I have hope in the plan that God has for me.

I am not always sure what the plan is so I need to not learn how to weather the storms but lean on the hope God has for me and who will he put in my path.

It is not how I hunker down and hide in the storms but in the hope God has for me and the people who are in the path of life with me.

It is not the fury of life that will control me but the gentleness and care of those who are on the path of life with me.

Let me rely on the hope you have for me and teach me "to learn to dance in the rain, rather than wait for the storm to pass. Not only will I miss out on life, but I miss out on the dance, and the chance to be refreshed today" on the Adventure in Middle Grove.

I love you Lauren!

1 comment:

Lauren G said...

love you too Dad! Wow, what a life long learning process of learning how to "Dance in the Rain." Glad I learned this lesson early on