Wednesday, August 27, 2008

MADE in God's Image

We have an instinctive need to seek God and his warmth, but I failed to see I wasn't looking in the right place. I was (am) a Christian seeking God's will but I let the sin and shame of my life get between what I wanted to do and what God wanted me to do. I found myself shut off from God's light due to my own choices. I did not honestly seek God's will and let my stubbornness and lack of feeling hinder God's true desires for my life. God sought me out yet I remained trapped behind walls of my own making, walls that kept me from going to him for the life-giving warmth only he can give. I suffered behind walls of intellectual pride and arrogance that I had a better idea than God. My sin that got between me and my Maker . I didn't want to let go, I was driven to seek God, yet I settled for a substitute, settled for something that didn't fully satisfy my need. I thought I had it all together, made all the right decisions, but many times I did not let God do the work. I went way ahead of him. This hurt relationships and left me empty and hurt each time, asking why did I do what I do.

Romans 7

"For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God—through Jesus Christ our Lord! "
We have a need that only God can fill!

“Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart” (Psalm 37:4).


It has taken me way too many years to realize that the second part of that verse depends on the first part. It is a whole new beginning to delight in the Lord, he needs to become the first desire of my heart. This, unfortunately took years and God opened my eyes to see who I really am. He needs to become what I seek above all else. That's the secret to true contentment. When I continue learn to seek God above all else,

The rest will fall in place.

This is the BEGINNING, not the END

This is not an intellectual exercise but a heartfelt desire to have my emotions be in sync with the still small voice of God in my soul. It is not some project to finish, It is never finished. It is not something that can be done without God in me. By trusting myself, I cannot let God do the work.
I continue to pray that I would REST in the Lord and SEEK his understanding and he would protect me from evil and restore me DAY by DAY.

I am made in his image!

1 comment:

Lauren G said...

Thanks Dad for letting me see you heart! Love you!